"God has given us memories that we might have roses in December." J.M. Barrie

Monday, November 17, 2008

Sentimental

Emma was watching some old family videos with me today. She watched it for a while and then suddenly realized she wasn't in these particular movies. She kept saying "I want to go in there. Get me in there!" She wanted to be back in time in that particular time of life (when Michael was about Joseph's age). We kind of laughed about it at first but she was dead serious. "Mom, I want to be with THAT Mom (Me, when I was younger and probably nicer)." I kept telling her we can't go there but she didn't get it and finally was in tears...major tears.

I guess it makes me sad to think about those times too. All of these moments are so fleeting. I need to appreciate them more. Like Michael and Thomas not wanting to let go of me at bedtime and me finally having to tickle them so they'll let go... Joseph cuddling with me before bed, rubbing my arm and my hair... Megan asking me all the time what's for dinner... Emma dressing up in her various outfits and getting into my makeup... the kids being excited to be dressed in matching jammies. They are treaured moments...I wish I would look at it like that all the time. Sometimes I do wish you could freeze time.

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

Amen, sister! Enjoy it while you can. Not to say I don't enjoy my teenagers and pre-teen. I do, but I miss having little ones around. There is something magical about little ones that you need to capture and hold on to while you can. It truly does pass by so quickly. By the way, I love your kids!

luvmymunchkins said...

We feel the same way and echo Rebecca. David gets to my heart as I hear him say "come here! it broken!" when he needs me to help get a movie started. And tonight Amy gave us a lesson about how Jesus, Grandpa Baer and the Holy Ghost will help her get married in the temple. I think I need to blog. . .