"God has given us memories that we might have roses in December." J.M. Barrie

Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Labor Day Weekend

We had a fun weekend. Friday night was our ward campout up the canyon. I honestly didn't really want to go. It seems like such huge effort (loading up the tents, sleeping bags, food, etc.) for being gone such a short amount of time. But we did it for the kids and boy did they have fun! That evening everyone met together for songs at the ampitheatre. Some of the adults led camp songs and some primary kids got up and sang primary songs. Megan and Thomas and Emma liked getting up there with everyone but Michael seemed to want to do his own thing. He whispered to me "Mom, when they're done I want to go up there all by myself and sing." I asked him what he wanted to sing and he said (actually shouted), "Shout, shout, let it all out" (the Tears for Fears song). I told him that another time would be better. I wonder if I had said "Go for it" if he would've actually done it. I guess I didn't want to find out!

Scott stayed with the two older kids overnight and I went home with the younger three. Michael was bummed, but it turned out good since he wasn't feeling good when we got home. I have to admit I was thrilled to death when I got home and had electricity and my comfortable bed. I'm spoiled.

Saturday morning greeted us with this:



I heard these weird noises around 7:45 every 20 seconds or so. It turned out to be the hot air being let out into the balloon. Emma was enthralled with it and once it took off from the street behind ours she said "Let's get in the car and go get it". When I asked her if she wanted to go in it she said "No, it's too scary." That's what Megan used to say all the time (and what I would say too).

Saturday night greeted Scott with this:




Joseph, unbeknownst to us, was still sick from this flu bug some of us got. While Daddy was rocking him, he held him up to his face and gush, all over him, even in his mouth. I heard blood curtling screams from upstairs, "Chrissie! Chrissie!" At least it was mostly breast milk throw up.

Monday I spent the day non-laboring by reading a book all day. I just finished the Memory Keeper's Daughter lent to me by my sister-in-law, Karla. I really enjoyed it. Then that night we went to a Labor Day-Palooza (that is what it was called) in the cul-de-sac next to us when a band played, kids played, and we all ate. Now it's back to the same old same old. But that's a good thing too.

1 comment:

Kathryn said...

Sounds like a lot of fun. People in the news have been talking about calling Labor Day the New New Year's. It seems like a fresh start. Glad you had a good time!