We are almost done with our kitchen remodel. The countertops should be in soon and with that, a kitchen sink. The baseboards and carpet will be fixed today or tomorrow and furniture can start being moved back into place. Things should be put back in their proper place and things put in order. It will finally be a house of order.
A house of order...what is that? Definitely not what we have had here. I now really understand why the scriptures say that you should have a house of order. Life has been chaotic, dirty, disorganized, havoc at times. Does this bring a good spirit into our home? Not particularly. I am anxious to get back to a feeling of normalcy with a renewed conviction to keep things in order. I will be happier. Scott will be happier. The kids will be happier. Life will be pleasant once again.
The other thing I have learned is that "things" don't make you happy. Not to say that our new kitchen isn't nice and will make the household easier to run...but I don't think that I have felt an overwhelming sense of happiness from it. Happy is knowing that your husband wasn't more seriously injured when he fell off his bike last week (or even killed). Happy is when you see your kids get along with each other and even choose to want to play with each other and not their friends. Happy is when you see your son try new foods (and like them) without begging and pleading with him. Happy is when your daughter decides to fold her brother's clothes without being asked. Happiness is when your baby finally sleeps through the night. Happiness is knowing you are loved when an accident happens and calls and meals come pouring in. Happiness is hearing your child say he had a bad dream last night and it was about his mom turning into a pirate. Happiness is your three year old bringing you flowers (dandelions) that she picked outside. Happiness is a loaf of banana bread from a kind neighbor. "Things" bring you a temporary, fleeting happiness but the other things truly bring me joy.
1 comment:
You are wonderful Chrissie. In every way! Thanks for the great reminder.
Post a Comment